By Paul Kengor
at the same time historians credits Ronald Reagan and Pope John Paul II with hastening the tip of the chilly warfare, they've got did not realize the intensity or importance of the bond that constructed among the 2 leaders.
Acclaimed student and bestselling writer Paul Kengor alterations that. during this interesting ebook, he finds a unique bond—which incorporated a non secular connection among the Catholic pope and the Protestant president—that drove the 2 males to confront what they knew to be the nice evil of the 20 th century: Soviet communism.
Reagan and John Paul II nearly didn’t have the ability to forge this courting: simply six weeks aside within the spring of 1981, they took bullets from would-be assassins. yet their strikingly related near-death reports introduced them shut together—to Moscow’s dismay.
A Pope and a President is the made of years of study. in response to Kengor’s tireless archival digging and his specified entry to Reagan insiders, the booklet finds:
- The within tale at the 1982 assembly the place the president and the pope confided their conviction that God had spared their lives for the aim of defeating communism
- Captivating new info at the try on John Paul II’s existence, together with a previously unreported mystery CIA investigation—was Moscow at the back of the plot?
- The many similarities and the non secular bond among the pope and the president—and how Reagan privately pointed out the “DP”: the Divine Plan to take down communism
- New information about how the Protestant Reagan grew to become intensely attracted to the “secrets of Fátima,” which date to the said apparitions of the Virgin Mary at Fátima, Portugal, beginning on May 13, 1917—sixty-four years to the day sooner than John Paul II was once shot
- A startling insider account of ways the USSR can have been set to invade the pope’s local Poland in March 1981—only to tug again whilst information broke that Reagan have been shot
Nancy Reagan referred to as John Paul II her husband’s “closest friend”; Reagan himself informed Polish viewers that the pope used to be his “best friend.” should you learn this publication, you'll comprehend why. As kindred spirits, Ronald Reagan and John Paul II united in pursuit of a ultimate objective—and in doing in order that they replaced history.
Read Online or Download A Pope and a President: John Paul II, Ronald Reagan, and the Extraordinary Untold Story of the 20th Century PDF
Similar ideologies books
During this new century, the relentless attraction of nationwide self-determination has moved past decolonisation. a wide workforce of de facto states, would-be sovereignties, now search overseas popularity. now and again those 'nations in ready' have already proven the exclusivity in their writ at the floor and wait just for the skin global to return to phrases with the realities in their lifestyles.
Studienarbeit aus dem Jahr 2008 im Fachbereich Politik - Politische Theorie und Ideengeschichte, word: 1,0, Freie Universität Berlin (Otto-Suhr-Institut für Politikwissenschaft), Veranstaltung: Gegenwartsdiagnosen – Von Fukuyama bis Sloterdijk, forty nine Quellen im Literaturverzeichnis, Sprache: Deutsch, summary: Entgegen der Prognose Max Webers von der „Entzauberung der Welt“ und dem langsamen Verschwinden von Glauben und faith in den modernen Gesellschaften ist in den letzten Jahren immer häufiger von einer "Rückkehr der Religionen" die Rede.
Medical Essay from the yr 2010 within the topic Politics - Political idea and the heritage of principles magazine, grade: 90%, Dublin urban college, direction: diplomacy, language: English, summary: Civil warfare Onset and the 'Third Debate': a Positivist as opposed to Post-Positivist ApproachAccording to Yosef Lapid (1989: 236), diplomacy, via the tip of the 1980’s used to be “in the midst of a 3rd discipline-defining debate”, among positivism and post-positivism.
"Tony Abbott could have been a Rhodes pupil, yet a few commentators are confident that he provided not anything greater than three-word slogans. Abbott’s correct demanding situations this notion, and provides Abbott as somebody who rejoices within the political conflict of rules. It appears at how the modern conservative voice that Abbott champions used to be shaped by means of Sir Robert Menzies, Malcolm Fraser and John Howard, and displays on what it potential to be conservative in smooth Australia.
- Our Fathers Weep: It's the Constitution, Stupid!
- Der Mythos Dresden, Februar 1945: Tieffliegerangriffe auf Flüchtlinge? (German Edition)
- James Madison and the Future of Limited Government
- Die „Responsibility to Protect“ im aktuellen Libyen-Konflikt (German Edition)
- Euskal Herria. Errealitatea eta utopia (Eztabaida) (Basque Edition)
- Worshipping the State: How Liberalism Became Our State Religion
Extra resources for A Pope and a President: John Paul II, Ronald Reagan, and the Extraordinary Untold Story of the 20th Century
A Pope and a President: John Paul II, Ronald Reagan, and the Extraordinary Untold Story of the 20th Century by Paul Kengor